What do M3U Files Look Like?
M3U is a text file saved with “.m3u” filename extension for emailing or for listening to Internet radio. M3U file may contain a multimedia playlist or URLs or some pathnames to the media files and/or folders. M3U file is not an actual file. It has a stream which is often used in downloading from a website. That is why the M3U files we have are quite small, most in Kbyte.
Here are 3 examples of M3U from Wiki for you to better know what M3U file is.
How to Play M3U Files without Limitation?
Now we have a general idea of what M3U file is from the above examples. However, we still meet these questions: How to deal with M3U files in our hand? How to play M3U audios? How to convert M3U files to other formats so that we can enjoy M3U files with no device limitation? Do not worry. The following article will show you two high-efficiency ways to convert .m3u files for playing.
Method 1: Convert M3U Files to MP3, FLAC or OGG with VLC Media Player
Step 1 Download VLC Media Player
Get VLC media player from .videolan.org. Open VLC Media Player when finishing installation.
Step 2 Load M3U files to the interface of M3U Converter
- Supposing that your M3U files are in computer saved in .m3u file extension, click “Media” ->”Open File…” or “Open Folder…” to add files. You can simply drag the files to the player.
- Supposing that your M3U files are online saved in URL, click “Media” -> “Open Network Stream…”, and then a new window will pop up. Choose “Network” to get MU3 files.
- Supposing that your M3U files are in Disc, click “Media” -> “Open Disc…”, and select “Disc” to import MU3 files.
Step 3 Convert M3U to MP3, FLAC, OGG etc.
- To convert M3U files, click “Media” -> “Convert/Save…”, and then click “Convert” button on the right corner of the new tab to convert M3U files according instructions.
- To stream M3U files, click “Media” -> “Stream…”, and then click “Stream” button on the right corner of the new tab to finish M3U converting.
(1) VLC media player needs a stable network to convert or stream M3U files. If there is a little unstable of the network or your files are quite big, the converting will be interrupted or crashed quite easily. It has to be started from the beginning again which is quite annoying.
(2) Besides, the converted files only in MP3, OGG and FLAC formats, so if you need to convert M3U files or other video/audio files to some mainstream formats, you will fail. What is worse, files from VLC media player cannot be played on any devices freely sometimes due to the special audio codec.
Therefore, in order to solve these questions, it is a better choice to stream M3U files to MP3 or OGG or FLAC with VLC media player just one time and then convert these exported files to other formats with a stable M3U converter for more devices.
Method 2: Professional M3U Converter: Convert M3U Files for Enjoying Freely
An important pre-requisite for using this M3U file converter to convert M3U files is that your M3U files must be converted to MP3, FLAC or OGG with VLC media player (For detailed steps: see Method 1 above).
What can M3U Converter Here do?
- Convert .m3u files (exported from VLC media player and saved in .mp3/.flac /.ogg format) to other popular audio formats steadily.
- Merge files from VLC media player into one.
- Solve the issue that .m3u files (exported from VLC media player and saved in .mp3/.flac /.ogg format) from VLC media player cannot be played freely.
- Convert files for playing in iTunes, iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Android, BlackBerry, Xbox 360, PS3, Windows Phone, Samsung Galaxy and more devices.
- Convert files to upload to some video websites for sharing or burn into CD or DVD for enjoying.
- Convert M3U files (exported from VLC media player and saved in MP3/OGG/FLAC format) for editing in iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Final Cut and so on.
- Trim or cut files, split files, adjust video or audio codec, bitrate, channel and more.
- M3U converter can convert among any audio formats like MP3, WAV, WMA, M4A, 3GA, Apple Lossless ALAC, CAF, FLAC, OGG, M4B, MKA, AAC, AC3, DTS, RA, RAM, APE, AU, AIFF, MPC, QCP, SHN, TTA, PCM, AMR and more without any streaming.
- M3U audio converter extracts audios from any video like WTV,WMV, ASF, ASX, AVI, DV, DivX, Xvid, MKV, FLV, F4V, SWF, MXF, OGM, WebM, VP8, OGV, 3GP, 3G2, 3GPP, 3GPP2, MP4, MPG, H.264, RM, RMVB, MOV, 720p/1080p AVCHD, MTS, TS, Apple ProRes, R3D, Fraps video, AMV, etc. with fast speed and high audio sound quality.
How to Convert M3U Files on Windows and Mac?
Make Preparation: Free download M3U Converter, install and run it.
Step 1 Import files
Click “Add File” button to import files to software. It is also ok to drag and drop the files to the interface of the M3U file converter.
Step 2 Set MP3, AIFF, ALAC, WMA etc. as the desired format
Click “Profile” drop down button and set the format you prefer from M3U audio converter.
To convert files to lossless audio formats, click “Profile” drop down button and choose the desired format from “Lossless Audio” category.
Tips: You can edit M3U files in “Trim” “Split” “Effect” “Settings …” button as you wish.
Step 3 Convert M3U Files with M3U Converter
Click “Convert” button to start file converting.